Monday, January 23, 2012

38th Annual Winter Cookout

You read that right. A winter cookout. I never realized how crazy that was until I moved to California from Ohio. To me, it was normal as it's been happening since before I was born. It started with my dad and his brothers, cooking some meat outside in January and has amassed into an annual gathering of family, friends and Crock Pots.

Last year, I found myself frustrated with trying to get well-lit shots but without a harsh flash. This year, I decided to chill out and roll with it. When it came time for post-processing (because I'm addicted to Lightroom) I found a way to make it work. What I came up with is kind of an homage to Winter Cookouts past with these vintage-looking, over-exposed shots. Here are a few of my favorites.


Uncle George didn't want to stick around for a photo, so I had to paparazzi that guy.

My mom made two gallons of apple pie shots. They taste like apple pie, duh.



There's always a portopotty, with Christmas lights and a space heater.


Peach schnapps to toast my dad! This was the first Winter Cookout after he passed and we all miss him!



Who wants to come next year?


Newer Posts Older Posts Home